The Penacook Historical Society - The Pillory quilt square

9. The Pillory (Captain John Sawyer House)

Captain John Sawyer’s house was built around 1840 on the corner of South Main and Washington streets. It was moved to its present location in 1870. It was operated for many years by Mr. and Mrs. Richard Harbour as “The Pillory,” a gift and craft shop and later as a used clothing store. The building is currently rented as a residence.

10. Holden Mill – Yanna Holden

The Holden Woolen Mill was erected in 1890. Later it was purchased by the Standish Woolen Company. From 1934 to 1955 it was the Briar Pipe Shop. From 1958 to 1972 it was operated as the Giant Store, one of the first large discount department stores in the Concord area. In 1977, after extensive remodeling, it opened as Briar Pipe Apartments.